Gecko Beware

All geckos should be wary of cats. They should run into the undergrowth silently. Any cat can hear the least rustle of a gecko from a distance. Any lizards reading this blog, take warning. Skinks and geckos, pass the message on to your friends.

I have been forced to write the message above. Lynettea said she was unappreciative of my behaviour. So in order to keep the peace in our household, I am doing as she says (on this occasion).
    Last evening we went for our twilight walkies. It had been a hot day at 34͒ C and I had been relaxing in my seagrass chair while Lynettea did some work on the computer.
    Now it was My Time. Hunting Time.
    I began by probing a patch of dry leaves near some empty potting containers.  Lynettea pulled me away, as usual, so I lay down and rolled over and over on the warm concrete driveway. The warmth seeped through my furs onto my skin. Luxury.
    We stayed there for a while and then I took her into the street and checked out the tyres of several parked cars and sniffed around the Stobie pole. A jogger ran past in the centre of the road and I crouched down. I mingle with the twilight in my velvety grey fur and he did not seem to notice me.
    I took Lynettea back into our yard. Then - quicker than an arrow : I have a gecko in my mouth, run down the side path and into my enclosure. Still wearing my halter and lead, I dart through the cat flap, without catching the lead, and up the hall.
    'What have you got, Sasha,' she says. Sees the gecko tail on the floor.
    'Is there something in your mouthie, Sasha?' 
    She picks me up. 'Careful, Sasha. Don't squash it!'
    She carries me down the hall and into the kitchen. Are we going to cook it? I am Distracted. Gecko drops to floor.
    'In here, Sasha!' She thrusts me into the hall and slams the door.
    Then I can hear her.
    'Come here, dear gecko. Mummy will pick you up. Quiet. Quiet. Don't run away. I will take you outside.'
    Back door slams. Then, after an interval, the door into the kitchen opens.
    'It's okay, Sasha. You can come in now.'
    She brings in a broom to look for the lizard tail, but it has vanished.

I bolted through the house a few times and checked all around my enclosure for the intruder.
    Nothing.

Comments

Lone Star Cats said…
We LUV hunting lizards here.
Aw man, what a bummer that you didn't get to keep the gecko, Sasha. I've never had the chance to hunt any lizards... although I've seen them running around through the window now and then.
The Whiskeratti said…
What an outrage! Hoomins just don't understand us, do they? You should have been allowed to finish your hard won snack.
Oh no!
Your mum stole your gecko?
That's not right! She should go get her own.
Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ
dood....next thing ya noe... lynettea will be tellin ya ta leeve de pond fish a lone !! ;)
☺☺☺♥♥♥

Popular Posts